Every session is different. Every family is different.
And childrens’ temperaments change by the minute.
With that in mind, I’d like to share some helpful hints to ensure the smoothest session possible.
Consider your goals for your photo session. Do you want to decorate a room in your house with your photos? Turn your photos into custom art? Update your family album, or design a photo book?
Are you looking for something spunky and fun, or traditional? Indoors or outdoors?
If you have even a general idea of what you’re looking for, I can help you narrow it down prior prior to your session. This will ensure your happiness with the results.
WHAT TO WEAR
- Above all else, wear something comfortable. When you’re not comfortable, it tends to show in your photos.
- If there will be multiple people in your photos, wear colors, patterns, and tones that complement each other. Think of dressing your family for photos as you would decorating your home: if you have a striped sofa, you won’t add polka-dotted or plaid accent pillows, because it would clash and become a distraction. The same applies to people in photographs.
- You need not dress in the same color, unless that’s the look you desire. Wear complementary colors, and stay consistent with bold, pastel, dark, or light shades.
- Wear things that reflect your personalities. If your kids like to play dress up or wear sunglasses, bring them along. They make for fun, unique photos.
- Ladies, please don’t wear plunging necklines or low cut V-necks. If you wear a tank top, pin your bra straps. You might bend over to kiss or to play with your child, and you don’t want to ruin a precious photo with distracting cleavage or creeping bra straps.
- Please, please, please don’t ask your child to smile for me. I’m happy to take the lead on coaxing a smile from them – and I’m good at it.
- If you have a baby or toddler, please have a snack on hand in case they get hungry. If its hot outside, have water handy. I try not to stop for food breaks unless absolutely necessary since there is a chance the kids will get messy. If they get hungry despite our careful planning, then we need to keep them happy!
- Don’t be alarmed if your kids act up or don’t want to do something I suggest. Unless they’re having significant behavioral issues, we’ll just roll with it. Allowing them to express themselves might surprise all of us!
- I love working with kids of all ages and abilities. If you or your child have any special needs, please let me know in advance. It helps me tailor the session to accommodate you.
I want your session to be relaxed, fun, and playful. It’s a chance to leave the real world behind, and capture a moment with those you love.
Take advantage of it.